Saturday 7 October 2017

...giving and receiving gifts


It was my neice's 11th birthday last weekend. Her mum is teaching her to cook and bake, so I got her a well-illustrated cook-book with step-by-step instructions for a whole range of recipes, and 'pimped' a jolly pink apron bought (cheaply) off the internet with an appliqued, hand-embroidered initial. If ever I need justification for keeping all the stuff I keep 'because it might come in handy' this is one of the little projects that will be produced as evidence in my defence! Iron-on interfacing? Tick. Fabric remnant? Tick. Embroidery silk? Tick. Happy hour spent chain-stitching and reminiscing to myself about 'O'-level Needlework classes? Tick!

Later in the week I completed the Rose Smiles scarf I have been working on as a surprise present for a friend at work. This proved to be a really easy pattern for a simple (but still very pretty) little scarf. She was so pleased to receive it and has been wearing it every day since! I had intended to make it for her birthday next year after she mentioned she would love me to make something for her, but when I discovered that her birthday was not until next spring it seemed like a better plan to make it and give it to her now, to keep her warm all winter!


Yesterday evening we went into Leeds City Centre to catch a quick glimpse of the annual Light Night celebrations. Last year my favourite part of the event was an amazing animated light show projected onto the main facade of the Civic Hall  -  this year it was the Town Hall, another iconic city centre building, that provided the 'blank canvas' for the display.

A group of other-worldly-looking mannequins posed on the front steps where wedding parties frequently assemble for photos. Images were projected onto their blank, screen-like faces while coloured lights and patterns and a sound-track of music overlaid with spoken vocals provided a haunting, evocative backdrop. The effect was absolutely awesome.

Events like this - provided free for everyone in the city to access and enjoy  - make me feel so proud to live in Leeds!







No comments:

Post a Comment