Wednesday 18 March 2020

...WOYWW - The One With The Peg Doll

Yesterday at work my whole team got sent home with our laptops, and instructions to cancel all our upcoming meetings and home visits (we work with children and families). As our service is classed as 'non-essential', it's possible that we will be called upon to to provide support for other statutory/essential services at some point, but currently we're all adjusting to this strange new world of social distancing and isolation and (like the majority of the population) feeling a bit shocked and dismayed at the speed with which it's all happened. 

So I've popped in to Julia's virtual workdesk tour (no hand-sanitiser required!) to share some of the stuff that will be keeping me occupied this week and find out what other people are getting up to too.
For me, it's basically rather a lot of knitting! I've made a start on my Frattali shawl - on the left in the picture. For any knitters who might be reading this and don't already know about it, do check out Judy's Magic Cast-on - it's an amazing technique which allows you to cast on completely invisibly when working in the round e.g. for seamless sock toes - or a Frattali shawl. On the right is a "making it up as I go along" stripey baby blanket I'm knitting for a friend who is expecting her first baby soon. I think the jolly rainbow colours will definitely help to keep me entertained. 

Sitting demurely at the back of the work desk is my finished DIY Sophie Tilley peg doll. I can't decide yet if she is a Louisa or a Lucinda (she looks like she should have an old-fashioned name)...but I'm very happy with how she has turned out, given that I just made things up as I went along with her too!

Finally, a photo of a gorgeous Peacock butterfly that fluttered through my garden yesterday, pausing briefly to sun itself on the fence. I raced to grab my phone and had time to get just one picture before it disappeared next door. Cheered me up no end! 


15 comments:

  1. Hi there, fab butterfly pic, how beautiful. Love your peg doll, I think she looks like a Lucinda! She is beautifully dressed, you did a great job there. Stay safe, have a good week, Hugs, Shaz #6 X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done - that butterfly pic is lovely and so welcome too...especially when the days feel anything but normal, to see something so pretty and natural is just the ticket! Love your Tilley doll, great hair do, and her dress is such a good match to those very Lucinda like eyes!! I’m not a knitter but I love the results..that multicoloured yarn looks like a treat to me, just my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the little things like the butterfly that make such a difference to the day! I think your lovely doll looks like a Lucinda for sure. I'm off to check out that casting on tutorial, your knitting made me smile, bright and lovely!
    Hugs LLJ 8 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous butterfly! I love the doll, I'd pick Lucinda too. Hope you adjust to your new working... it is very scary the speed at which things are changing. Helen #3

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting seeing the butterfly as it was only today that I saw one in our garden, I was quite surprised to see it but they are beautiful. Gorgeous doll too, loving her dress. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x12x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoyed my attempt at being funny in this strange old world we are in at the moment (with my chocolate wash). We can beat this and I have decided that the best way forward is to create lots of colour and cheeriness throughout the world via the internet. let's get creating and making everyone smile.
    What a delight Sophie Tilley is, she looks so demure with that lovely face and her pretty clothes. Thanks for making and sharing.
    Stay safe and well,, Hugs, Neet 1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the doll, looks like a Lucinda to me Amelia. I can't work from home so have to go into work unless any of us get symptoms and have to isolate the household for 14 days. Look forward to seeing the shawl when it's done. Happy WOYWW. Stay safe. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh the butterfly is absolutely stunning and I have to say "what a great photo." From the textured fence to the cascading ivy which makes it all beautiful. Funny working from home and keeping connected with work I don't think our IT system will cope when that starts to happen. Stay safe and keep crafting... your peg doll is a sweetie
    Sandra de @4

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful little peg doll - she's lovely, and such a sweet face - I think she looks like a Lucinda! I love the butterfly picture, you were lucky to grab the photo before it flew away - it looks stunning against the fence and foliage. The knitting looks like it will keep you very busy for quite a while, the multi coloured wool is gorgeous.
    Stay safe,
    Diana x #17

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your visit to my blog and the lovely comment, The lady on the tag is hand coloured with promarkers,

    Lilian B #34

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there. Fabulous sign of spring there. Good photo of the butterfly. They don't hang around do they?? Gorgeous doll now she is finished - for me, she is a Louisa - rather Jane Austin... Great knitting - and plenty to keep you going. Maybe you will indeed be called on to help in the schools.. who knows how this is all going to go.
    Take care. Stay safe. God bless.
    Margaret #5

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amelia, my vote is for Lucinda! Knitting is a skill I never acquired, even thought my late mother tried to teach me as a teenager, but I do love to see what people create with their knitting. I don't think I have ever seen that butterfly - the colours are gorgeous. We get lots of insects and wildlife in our garden but I'm usually too late with the camera. Hubby did get some nice shots of a deer in our garden last year though. Thanks for stopping by my blog, my mouth is still tender, and I don't think I ever want a wisdom tooth out again! Stay safe, and have a lovely week Heather xx #13

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your peg doll she is gorgeous and to me a Louisa! Beautiful butterfly pic. Take care my friend. Happy belated WOYWW. With love & God Bless, Caro x (#14)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amelia oh she definitely looks like a Lucinda to me, isn't she magnificent.. I can see she has been made with so much love. Lovely to see that bright coloured wool, my Mother would adore that, she's the knitter I am the everything elser.. Sad times that your job role was classed as non essential, when families are in such need it seems ridiculous but previously being a Family support worker myself I know how much the role is somewhat over looked. If I was still in that role i'd be struggling to let go for sure. Take care of yourself through these uncharted waters, our creative minds will help us keep swimming.
    Creative wishes Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Amelia, def a Lucinda... your peg doll is stunning!
    As is your knitting, very clever, great ideas!
    Lovely desky share sorry I’m so late and brief.
    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too, especially in these troubled times, may we look up in faith! Praying you’re all kept well too!
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x 😊

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete