Wednesday 4 September 2019

...WOYWW. The One With the Ladybird

Spied this little lady beetle as I was picking blackberries in the garden yesterday. They are such cheery-looking insects aren't they? With those cute red and black-spotted wing covers they're welcome to come and munch on my greenflies any day!
The workmen have now shifted their attention to the upstairs bathroom, which is being tiled as I type. I am hoping (with all my fingers and toes crossed) that they will be able to finish the job this week. I am beyond tired of the mess and disruption, as well as feeling my home is not my own. The XXSCat Dog is hilarious. She leaves for the day (to stay at my Mum's house) as soon as the workmen arrive, and then returns home to inspect their progress after they've gone. She is clearly unimpressed by all the upheaval too, and usually has a good bark at any tool-boxes and buckets that have been left behind. They do say that dogs come to resemble their owners...
I've decided it's safe to start removing dustsheets from my work room now that most of the mess is being made upstairs. This morning I emptied the shelves on the back wall and washed/dusted everything, as we didn't get the chance to protect this area from the tile dust clouds in Week One. It's nice to restore some order, although I did have to question why we need 10 assorted wine glasses when we're practically teetotal and never throw dinner-parties! 
For this week's show and tell with Julia all that's currently on my re-emerging workdesk is my thuggish-looking baby doll (rescued from a charity shop to add to the toybox I use with children at work). He/she finally has his/her own outfit - custom-knitted bootees, a cardigan, and a hat with disproportionately large bobbles for added cuteness. Sometimes, when the going gets tough and the workmen are getting you down, the best you can do is make little doll-hat bobbles! 

I'm starting my phased return to work next Wednesday, so what will be on the workdesk after that is anyone's guess. So much harder to make time for making when you're busy earning a living!

7 comments:

  1. Hi there, great job on knitting the dolls clothes. I'm sure you'll be really glad when the workmen are done, it seems to take forever, doesn't it? Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope the mess doesn't still come downstairs...and they finish soon. great doll's clothes. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain - we had workmen in for a five month job that turned into 12! The little clothes are great, but I had to laugh at the description of the 'Thuggish looking doll'! Happy WOYWW. Have a lovely week. With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#12)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember that stage of the bathroom well - we've had problems with getting the right seals for the shower enclosure, the company have been so rubbish, however it should now all be resolved on Friday. Woohoo! And it was worth the upheaval as the bathroom (or Julia's ensuite!!) is looking very smart now!
    Sorry but that is the ugliest doll I've seen fr a while - the bobbles do help a bit though!
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stages of a ladybird are best not seen. They look lovely as an adult but the other stages not so much. I fully understand what you're saying about work. I only starting blogging once I retired as working full time left no time for anything other than housework and sleeping and the odd holiday in between so I understand. Have a lovely woyww and a happy creative week, Angela x11x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the workmen are finished soon Amelia. Those pompoms on the doll's hat are certainly cute. Good luck with your phased return to work next week (I've been there). Happy belated WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally get what you mean, ‘the dust blues’ we call it here...even in the middle of an extension involving becoming open plan, there are days when I have to just clean and dust and reclaim ‘normal’ even it will only last overnight! Your bathroom is looking fab, those tiles are lovely..like watercolours! I had to laugh at your description of the little doll, but actually, when i scrolled down to see her, I have to agree....the model was obviously feeling a little anti social at the time!! Good luck next week...dont forget to apply brakes if necessary, phasing is a test to see if you can or if you can’t, not just to ease you back in! Xx

    ReplyDelete