Wednesday 28 August 2019

...What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday - The One With the Caterpillars

I was snipping round the edges of the overgrown jungle that is our front garden at the weekend, and spotted these handsome little fellas happily chewing their way through some weeds. Google informs me that they are Cinnabar Moth caterpillars. When they eventually emerge from their costume-change-cocoons they will be sporting red and black wings that look a bit like fancy Dracula cloaks. Not sure if they are endangered in any way, but if anyone raises their eyebrows at the state of the garden after this discovery I think I'm just going to explain that it is actually a wildlife sanctuary!
Joining with Julia and friends, here is a glimpse of my workdesk today - or more accurately, my work-knee. The bathroom refurbishment project has entered its second week, and my normal work space is still swathed in dustsheets. Turns out that I was mistaken last week when I thought that the worst was over once the ripping out/plasterboarding work had been done. Two days of tiling left every surface, including me, coated in a thin film of ceramic tile powder. Knowing that demolition would start on the upstairs bathroom this week, we spent ages at the weekend pre-emptively covering every inch of the spare bedroom (new bath-tub storage point), hall, stairs and landing in protective sheeting. My husband said it reminds him of that scene in the film E.T. when the evil government agents have quarantined Elliot's house! 

So I'm reduced to working on small scale projects in the sitting room, which is the only dust and/or dustsheet free room available. This is what I got up to today - a little green woolly cardigan for a baby Sasha doll. I love making jumpers for small people - babies, dolls, teddies - all just the right size if you ask me. For some reason I just don't have the patience to knit adult sized stuff - unless it's hats, scarves, gloves etc!

I've included a couple of photos of the almost-completed shower room. We've moved in already, because work has now started on the bathroom, but there are still a few little fiddly bits (just out of shot) that need finishing off. It may not be to everyone's taste, but we're really thrilled with how it's turned out - having lived with the very old, very basic, and increasingly delapidated shower room for 20 years it was definitely time for an upgrade. Now it's officially the most fancy room in the house! 


9 comments:

  1. Interesting caterpillars and I absolutely love those tiles and the sweet little Cardigan. Have a great crafty week and a happy woyww, Angela x8x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Impressive. Loving that shower room! Those contrast tiles are just something else. Well chosen. Definitely a wild life sanctuary in your front garden - just like mine... Cute little cardigan.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those tiles are just beautiful if a toilet can be a bit Klimt then this one definitely is!

    Carmen x #30

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your caterpillars! hope you see the butterflies when they emerge soon..... Love your shower room that tiling is gorgeous. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find with the caterpillars hope they make it before an eagle eyed bird spots them. My Mom has the same thoughts regarding knitting my children all had hand knitted cardi's & jumpers up until the age of 7. Sweet little dolls clothing.
    Fabulous mother of pearl tiles.. Hope it's all completed soon and you can get back into your creative space.
    Thanks for sharing WoywW Tracey #15

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW, and a fancy bathroom it is! LOVE IT!!! I just finished a baby-cardigan too (for the newborn of a friend) and I agree: small projects like that are the best! Thanks for your visit to my blog the other day, happy - belated - woyww. Hug from Holland. Marit #14

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow love that bathroom, the tiny tiles against the larger ones are spectacular. Hope all the dust is over soon and you can get back in your craft space. The cardigan is cute! Happy belated WOYWW. Sarah #7

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, first off I LOVE your shower room, the tiles are amazing! Those caterpillars are cool, I can recall many years ago when I was a child, you would see thousands of them on those plants everywhere, now they are a very rare sight. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have to cosset those caterpillars, I haven't seen any for years! I love the little knitting - may be its the thing about knitting small means finishing quickly that attracts you to it. Or is that just me? I’m impatient and really like a result! I have a lot of sympathy over the tile dust and breakdown dust...we’re changing to an open plan structure downstairs and the dust is tear inducing! The new shower room looks fabulous. I really like the tiled cubby shelf, lovely totally useful and great for the job. Can’t ask for more!

    ReplyDelete