Monday 5 August 2019

...reaching milestones

It's now been six and a half weeks since my hip replacement surgery and I'm beginning to feel more like myself for longer periods of time. I can now watch TV in the reclining chair downstairs reasonably comfortably (without my leg going numb) and have managed to complete a little Nurmilintu shawl in a cotton mix yarn (Lang yarns, 'Milton') whilst watching the 'Patrick Melrose' box set on Netflix. It's a great pattern for convalescing with, as the garter stitch panels require no concentration whatsoever, and the simple lace panels are created using a three row repeat. I like everything about this scarf except the colour. It looked gorgeous in the skein, but I'm not a big fan of the relatively large expanses of tan/beige in the finished fabric. I will wear it, but I don't think it will become a favourite.

The front garden is an absolute jungle, having been left untended in alternating summer sunshine and heavy rain for the best part of two months. I know I'm on the mend because I'm planning to get out there with the secateurs this week, if only to cut back the trailing brambles and hawthorn shoots now threatening to block the path to the front door. It is attracting plenty of bees and butterflies, and I spotted a bright eyed frog hopping through the wet grass yesterday, but some judicious pruning would definitely not go amiss
The hardest part of the recovery process has been dealing with the level of fatigue I've experienced, and the setbacks that have occurred when I've try to do too much too soon. Last week a minor mis-step on the stairs jarred my hip horribly as I landed awkwardly on the operated leg, and resulted in two days of pain and several sleepless nights. 

So I'm trying to take a leaf out of the Tortoise's book, and remember that "Slow and steady wins the race." Today I handed my hospital issue walking sticks back to the physiotherapist, and reverted to my snazzy blue folding stick for outdoor/longer distance use. Progress indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment