Wednesday 17 June 2020

...WOYWW - The One With The Tiny Mouse Bed

Yet again I'm scurrying in like the White Rabbit (muttering, "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!") for Julia's weekly workdesk round-up. So without further ado, here is the obligatory photo, which reveals a positively miniscule area of workable space (soon to be rectified, see below*), surrounded by teetering mountains of materials. From left to right, there's a fabric/pattern book pile that has been there forever and really needs to find a better home, and a stack of mask-related stuff - yellow tin with rotary cutter, elastic, tailor's chalk and tin-ties and a box of sandwich bags for packaging masks - with a random bag of embroidery threads perched on top. The threads were used for a project (see below**) which also involved the paint, wire and pliers on the right hand side. Further to the right, a box of sewing threads (masks again), balanced on top of the paints, pencils, and daily doodle book which I try to keep handy ("handy" being a euphemism for "buried at the bottom of a rather precarious pile").














The little purple objects in the middle are the pressed petals of the gorgeous tulip on the right. The colour has darkened, but the "hand-painted" effect is the same. I'm just not sure what to do with them! My brain has just whispered, "Why not preserve them in clear resin?" Thanks brain! Might just have to give that a try!


* Being an All Round Good Egg and Wonderful Human Being (not to mention Tired of My Incessant Grumbling and Whining), this week my lovely husband came up with the idea of getting another work-desk for me, to put in the corner of our tiny spare bedroom. He even found the perfect little drop-leaf desk you see below ('Ingatorp' from Ikea) which is just the right size for my laptop, phones, notebooks and me. This means I will have a designated "Working From Home" space that I can just shut the door on and leave at the end of the day, rather than the current arrangement where work paraphernalia encroaches on my happy creative space and has to be packed away every evening to make way for the sewing machine. What a thoughtful man I married!

** Next some WIP pictures of the paint/wire/pliers project mentioned above and featured in the title of this post -  the tiny mouse bed. This is another of Ann Wood's wonderful creations, instructions for which can be found (very generously free of charge) here
I had so much fun making the little stripey tufted mattress, and best of all it turned out to be just the right size for the tiny patchwork quilt!

In other news, mask-making continues to take up most of my spare time in the evenings after work, and often half the weekend too. It is a bit like having a second job, but I'm getting quicker and quicker all the time, and I like the fact that they're jolly as well as practical. I love the thought of all these cheerful, brightly coloured face coverings out and about in this strange new world we're living in. The picture below shows some of the recent batches (XXSCat dog not included).
My latest 'order' included a request from a little girl for a rainbow mask. So I'm going to be playing with fabric pens and crayons to create my own design, as I don't have any rainbow fabric in my stash, and my husband will kill me if I buy any more - even the best and kindest of men has his limits!
Finally, a bit of gratuitous natural beauty - trees at the park after all the recent rain - lush, green, and full of birdsong...
...and a gorgeous Red Admiral butterfly that came fluttering into the garden and had me positively racing to grab my camera!

11 comments:

  1. Hi there. You have been SO busy - all those masks! That little bed, mattress, pillow and quilt are exquisite - well done. Isn't it lovely to hear the bird song and see the trees in full leaf? Enjoy. The butterfly photo is just great. So difficult to get them to stay still for the camera!
    Take care. Stay safe. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Amelia, that little bed is just adorable. You have done a wonderful job with it, especially the little buttoned mattress and the sweet little quilt. You are sooo talented... You have such a lovely thoughtful hubby, just like mine, always going the extra mile. The new desk looks awesome!

    Thank you for your brilliant comment - I just love your turn of phrase when you write about our kitties! Lol! I must read that comment to my hubby tomorrow. You summed them up so well this week. I love your description of the stripy sideways-knit jumper turning into a kaftan - a few more washes and it would have ended up as a maxi dress!! Yes, the knitting UFOs are going really well. I'm making good progress on the band for the green cardigan but each row takes over 1/2 hr because there are sooo many stitches! I'm so glad you like my pantry now it's all organised, and I felt very flattered to be compared with David Hockney (whom I very much admire) - I hadn't thought of that when I made that montage. I loved his work with video cameras on top of vehicles, and making video montages. Stunning stuff. I had fun doing that photo montage and initially got very frustrated with the conflict between the different perspectives, till I realised that with only a small amount of manipulation, the errors were actually quite artistic when it all came together! I feel inspired to do some more stuff like that now.

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #22

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have a small workspace (apart fromthe new one) but what a view from your window. Loving the garden pics too. HappyWOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the new desk arrives soon so you have more creative space. Love the mouse bed and the quilt is perfect! Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #8

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous capture on that butterfly photo! That little bed is so sweet and takes me back to stories of little woodland creatures living in holes in trees and curling up on little beds with patchwork quilts on. So evocative! Have a great week, Lisa-Jane #23

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little mouse bed!
    Happy Crafting!
    Susan #39

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, the mouse bed is fabulous, absolutely perfect. Love all the masks, great job. Isn't the butterfly gorgeous? Is that a Lilac it's sitting on. Great desk, looks perfect for what you need. Stay safe, have a good week, Hugs, Shaz #16 X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mouse bed. Never seen anything like it, it's quaint with the quilt. My work from home desk is one of my craft tables and it is annoying. I have a monitor on there, so not practical to pack it away every day, so less time for crafting. I may have to look into that little desk. Have a lovely week and stay safe and well, Heather xx #13

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, loving the mouse bed it's so sweet. I am on catch-up again! We've had a busy week with my mum and I'd had enough yesterday so I'm finishing off my visits today. Interesting desk too. Have a great week and a happy belated woyww, Angela x20x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I’m so late. what a gorgeous post! Loving the fresh after rain shots, I can almost smell the green. Your desk looks a picture, I know all about keeping things ‘handy’ and can only tell you how impressed I am that the petals haven’t been wafted into the great abyss of lost. The mouse bed is a joy, how patient and clever you are. And how busy, my word, they do say that the busier you are the more you get done. true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my work spaces...as my mess is on the top of the kitchen table. I have arather demanding doll that requires a 'specialized' wardrobe...and couture even. (Not sure I'm capabale of 'couture' but we will give it a shot. I loved your post---a bit of this and that, and perfect for simply getting lost in, thank you for aiding my TV off today, as I simply can't watch the news at all. Sandi

    ReplyDelete