Monday 3 May 2021

...new baby knitting and sewing

I've had a lovely time over the past week knitting and stitching tiny clothes for a friend's very-much-longed-for miracle baby (a girl), due in early June. We are having a 'virtual' shower for her over Zoom later this week, and they needed to be ready for collection and delivery by the shower organiser tomorrow, so that they can be 'quarantined' for a few days before opening. The little cardigan is "Ode to Doris", the blanket (background bottom right) is "Camilla", and the pretty little bloomers are from this Wiksten pattern. I really struggled with lighting when taking the photos - the top left one is probably the most accurate colourwise. 
This was my first "Ode to Doris" cardigan, but probably won't be my last, as it came together so easily - top down and seam free - perfect for anyone who hates seaming or picking up stitches as much as I do! "Camilla" is my go-to baby blanket pattern (this is the fourth one I've made). It knits up fairly quickly in aran-weight yarn, and makes a lovely, squishy, practical blanket for everyday baby-snuggling. The bloomers will definitely be part of my 'new baby' gift repertoire from now on - the first size can be cut from a fat quarter with room to spare, they take a couple of hours to construct - two pieces, three seams and three hems, with a bit of elastic threading along the way - and they are almost too adorable to bear! They can be made in two lengths and 6 sizes (birth to 3 yrs), so are very adaptable.

It's been a bit of a slog, but I've managed to keep up the 2.5" squares for the #100dayproject every day too. At the time of writing there are 8 more days to go to get to the finish line. I'm really proud of myself for seeing it through, but looking forward to breaking free from the self-imposed tyranny of working within such tight parameters! 

2 comments:

  1. Everything in the post is beautiful!
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete