Saturday 15 May 2021

...the 100 day project

The 100 day project is finished, and I'm so glad I saw it through! Here are the squares from days 91-99...
...and one final square (below, top right) completes the project. I ended with a clematis painting because I'd started with one. From bare, knotted stems in January to a mass of flowers in May! 
Looking back on the project, the paintings I'm fondest of tend to be the ones that were done from visual impressions/memories, rather than relying on photos for source material:
The fabric paints I used are from the Pebeo Setacolor range*. They come in gorgeous colours, and several consistencies, which give different effects depending on how much you dilute them and the type of fabric they're intended to be used on. So, moving from left to right in the photo below:

  • Setasilk (the clue's in the name) is primarily designed for painting on silk - it has an ink-like consistency (hence the dropper top) and is very water-colour-like in effect. A little goes a long way, especially if you're working on 2.5" squares! The Seta-Skrib bottle on the far right is from a 'vintage' set I bought approx 30 years ago which is still going strong. The watery background of the square below is Setasilk - the fish are Setacolor Opaque.

  • Setacolor Shimmer Opaque is a smooth, metallic paint, which can be watered down or added to other colours to give a more subtle, irridescent effect. I only have this in gold so far, but will definitely be adding to my collection when birthday/Christmas present suggestions are needed in future! The peacock feather square was done with a mixture of Setacolor Shimmer and Setasilk.

  • Setacolor Opaque gives maximum coverage on any fabric - if Setasilk is like watercolour, then Setacolor Opaque is like acrylic - I've been using it a lot in a kind of 'wax resist' fashion as the Setasilk colours slide right off it. The hawthorn blossom is Setacolor Opaque, with a wash of green Setasilk over the top. 

  • Setacolor Light is semi-translucent and very smooth - it's intended for use on light coloured/white fabrics. When watered down it acts like Setasilk, but still retains a little of the 'wax-resist' effect of Setacolor Opaque when used neat. In the square below I was experimenting with it for the first time - there's a bit of gold Shimmer in there too, just because I love it so.

  • Setacolor Glitter is probably my least favourite of the range - it is a bit like glitter-glue for fabric, in that it dries almost clear, leaving a glittery residue behind. Best used over the top of other colours as it has the same 'wax-resist' qualities as the Setacolor Opaque and won't allow subsequent washes of colour to sink into the fabric. The square below was another experiment with using it for the first time - turquise glitter stems and silver glitter dots, with a wash of orange and yellow Setasilk over the top.
*Other fabric paints are available, I just decided to stick with Pebeo as I liked the Seta-Skrib coIours I already had in my stash!

6 comments:

  1. A visual feast. I love the fish one, the fabric paints have such a good texture for water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The project really gave me a chance to play with the paints and see what they could do.

      Delete
  2. I've so enjoyed following your 100 days. Such a great way to learn and experiment with color, design, and your chosen media. Naturally, the child in me wants to pick a favorite, or several. The group of four fish; the daisy chain; the portrait of a crow . . .
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen! I've been sending them to a friend in batches of 9 and she likes to pick a favourite too! It's interesting (and lovely) to get feedback from different perspectives - I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  3. I am here only to admire... but I suspect I am going to be inspired, too. Your beautiful work is making this all very tempting to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, do have a play! Maybe just start with a couple of different pots in favourite colours!

      Delete