Wednesday 19 July 2017

...reality

A few weeks ago, riding high on the success of my stash slashing endeavours and my new-found resolve to become 'someone who sees things through', I decided to embark on a 'proper' knitter's project, using a beautiful pattern and some equally beautiful yarn. In my head I imagined that this would be the start of a new phase in my life as a knitter. From now on I would no longer need to buy knitwear because all my jumpers and cardigans would be handmade from gorgeous natural fibres - wool, silk, linen - and I would look and feel wonderful in them.

So it seemed perfectly reasonable to use this lovely yarn:


Laceweight Malabrigo 100% merino wool -
"When you experience Malabrigo Lace Baby Merino,
you connect with a special place of the world"

To make this lovely cardigan:


Hannah Fettig - Featherweight

Right from the start the project was dreamy. I loved the seamless top-down construction and the ease with which it could be adjusted according to individual preference - a little longer in the body, a little wider in the collar? No problem, just go for it! Soothing, rhythmic stocking stitch gliding effortlessly from the needles, row after row after row. Even picking up stitches for the collar was simple - 2 stitches for every 3 rows - no maths needed! The finished cardigan really did feel light as a feather and so soft against my skin, and the best thing was - it fit me perfectly! 

I wore it the day after it was finished, and even planned to get my husband to take a photo of me wearing it, I was so pleased with it. 

"Maybe I should wash it and block it a little before taking pictures. A really careful hand-wash in barely lukewarm water with a splash of wool wash, a couple of gentle squeezes before and after rinsing, and then dry it flat on a towel - it will look even better!"

Or not. 

The reality is that the instruction "hand-wash only" has always spelled disaster for me throughout my whole entire life, and all the positive thinking and new beginnings in the world will never change this fact. I don't know what I do wrong, but whenever I attempt to hand-wash anything, however careful I am, the outcome is always the same - a ruined garment! I don't know what possessed me to think that this time would be any different.

So now I have a slightly felted, somewhat shrunken, much less wearable cardigan that will probably become completely unwearable after just one more wash, and all the joy has gone out of it (sad face emoticon). 

However, positive-thinking new-beginning Me (happy face emoticon) has decided that all is not lost and that this whole experience can be reframed as a lesson learned - I just need to use machine-washable yarns in future! The reality is that it's another completed project under my belt, regardless of its longevity.

Better yet, I still have two and a bit left-over skeins of the most gorgeous indigo baby merino lace-weight yarn that (in my hands) instinctively shrinks at the first hint of moisture, so I can play to my strengths and make myself one of these fabulous felted scarves. 


Les Miserables - Cynthia Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment