Friday 21 July 2017

...time off

It's Friday afternoon and we're coming to the end of a lovely week of time off from work. We've checked out the charity shops and mostly managed to resist bringing more stuff home - apart from...


...a spotty scarf, a wooden block picture puzzle to go in my bag of tricks 
for work, and an ancient knitting encyclopaedia - illustrated with drawings, not photos - with the most delightfully twee front cover. I did try hard to resist the knitting encyclopaedia, as I know the chances of me actually referring to it are so remote...but that cover! It was only £2.99 after all...and just look at that cover!

We've had a walk at our favourite local park, formerly a golf course until a couple of years ago, when the Council decided they could no longer afford the upkeep. Now the cultivated flower garden in the middle of the course contrasts beautifully with the meadow grasses left to grow unchecked on the fairways.

We've had a trip to Ilkley Moor with friends on a cloudy, overcast day - perfect weather for hiking up hill and down dale.



We've had a couple of quiet days, mooching around the house, doing laundry, catching up on odd jobs and cleaning. I hemmed two pairs of page-boy trousers and put darts into a bridesmaid's dress for my friend's wedding. Renewed contents insurance. Applied for a new passport. Worked through the stack of paperwork and unopened letters that tends to accumulate when we're working. Whilst hunting for a stapler I came across a stray bag of wool that had escaped the stash-slashing cull, tucked away on the bottom shelf of a cupboard. 


Golf balls belong to the dog - also stashed as they're
hidden from prying human eyes when the cupboard
door is shut!

I think I must have inherited it from someone as I can't imagine myself ever buying it - it's 100% wool in a really uninspiring beige/grey colour, and quite scratchy in texture. It's still in the cupboard as I type, but its days are numbered because the deciding factor in the keep/discard debate is that it is hand-wash only and therefore kryptonite to me...except that the hoarder in my head has just whispered - "So you could felt it into some kind of beige/grey/wooly thing - like a bag or some slippers..."

This is the same inner hoarder that said, "Use the 20 yr-old turquoise/green cotton yarn with little blobs of bright colours for a baby blanket - don't get rid of it just yet!" Sometimes the hoarder is right - the blanket is now coming along nicely. I've gone for stocking stitch with a simple garter stitch border around the edge. I really like it, - it's bright and jolly, and I think it will just get softer and more comfy with age. So there might be a stay of execution for the beige/grey/scratchy wool too, if the right felting project can be found.



Today we went to Nostell Priory for another walk.








Another really lovely place to be, filling my head with light and space and natural beauty that I can bring to mind when I'm back at work and feeling stressed.

I always feel a bit sad when a period of time off is drawing to a close. But there are still two more days to go, and there are a few more things to do before we re-enter the world of work. Top of my list is a bridal accessory I promised to make for my friend, details of which will hopefully follow in due course...




No comments:

Post a Comment