Wednesday 15 January 2020

...WOYWW - The One With the Back-to-Work Log-jam

I'm tagging along at the tail end of the What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday tour to offer a quick glimpse at the projects currently forming a disorderly queue on my craft room table.  Work and play just don't mix, and after only a couple of days of being back at the coalface things are already getting a little out of hand.

On the left is a VERY ugly baby doll, rescued from the charity shop near work just before Christmas. She has tiny, beady eyes, moulded pigtails that stick out of her head like horns, and a permanently startled expression. I just had to bring her home. I'm thinking of making her a jumper and bootees out of the pinky-purply wool. There's nothing I love more than a charity shop rescue in knitwear.

To the right of Ugly Baby is one completed fingerless mitt and a third of its pair. There would have been two thirds of it but I made a stupid mistake which I only noticed when I got to the start of the thumb shaping, so I had to unravel it back to the cuff. 

To the right of the mitts is a belated but very beautiful Christmas present which arrived at the weekend. It's a DIY peg-doll from Sophie Tilley Designs, waiting to be brought to life. The kit comes complete with a face-painting practice sheet and an assortment of pretty fabrics and lace - the rest is up to me! It is not an exaggeration to say that I have been lying awake at night thinking about how to tackle this project. The dolls that Sophie makes herself are so wonderful, I'm not sure I can do this one justice. She reminds me a little of the cook doll, Jane, in Beatrix Potter's "Tale of Two Bad Mice", but Jane was a very introverted character, whereas Sophie's ladies seem to have a lot more vim and vigour. I will just have to pluck up the courage to make a start and see where my fancy takes me. 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visit. OH I was excited to visit Sophie, that kit looks like something I found at a resale shop and had no clue. Will have to find it among my treasures and see I like the concept of them. And miss pig tails will be adorable with some cute little outfit. I've a collection of odd little dolls I'll have to share when I run across them once again. ! Disarray in my storage area! hAVE Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure you could ever make ugly baby pretty but good luck with the clothes I think they'll help!! Have great week Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY WOYWDW
    Thank you for your visit to my blog and the lovely comment you left, I love to go to Charity shops as you never know what you will find, Love your busy work desk,

    Lilian B #7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting collection of crafty stuff on your desk and loving the peg dolls. No crafting has taken place where I am I'm pleased to say. Sending you lots of crafty woyww wishes, Angela x3x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a doll person and never have been, give me cute and cuddly every time :) However, I wish you fun with your ugly doll. Your peg doll kit looks very different form the peg doll kits I have seen and certainly lends itself to infinite possibilities. Happy WOYWW #22 Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a lot of projects awaiting you! How nice of you to rescue the doll, I'm sure she will be quite a beauty once you are done with her! Thank you for your visit to mine, have a great week, Lindart#20

    ReplyDelete
  7. Put it this way, whatever you do to that ugly doll can only be an improvement...I'm glad you rescued her! The new peg dolly is also interesting, you'll have fun with the kit. I hope these two ladies will have a lot of fun when you're not around 😉
    Hugs LLJ 8 xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely kit, I look forward to seeing how your peg doll turns out. The fingerless mitts are such a lovely colour. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just amazed by the knitting you do have on display, all the fingerless gloves I have picked up as a customer at craft shows are all crochet ones and those look like they are going to be so elegant when done. :) ~Stacy #21

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous projects, Amelia! The doll kit is amazing - I just love those muted shades in the lovely fabrics. As for Ugly Doll, my hubby is in the habit of rescuing teddies from charity shops because he says nobody loves them. I have told him "No More Teddies!!" because the place is now awash with them! The latest one is in the car. Thank you for your visit and your good wishes for my health (had a giggle at the "drawers" lol!) and I'd love to see a photo of the Russian Hat haha! Our little fur babies certainly know how to get warm and comfortable, don't they. I am feeling a lot better today and managed to make another batch of my savoury almond pulp/sourdough crackers - we get through loads of those! Fat free, wafer thin, very crisp and delicious!

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi #13

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh yes that is an unusual looking doll, I look forward to seeing how it turns out and the peg dolls too.
    kyla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh Ive just been to visit Sophie Tillet; what a fab gift, I can totally understand why you’re thinking about making her up while you should be sleeping...so many ways to go!
    I think you were very noble to rescue Ugly Doll, am pretty sure some spruced up clothes will make her like a Swan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for the late visit. I love your photo. Interesting stuff. Have a great week. Dorlene #19

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, golly, I can't imagine taking a photo of my work deskS! I love creative soul blogs--I confess I actually have a DIY doll blog, where I do all sorts of fun creative stuff, also. Thanks so much for your lovely note, Amelia, and I can't wait to see what you do with all those goodies on your desk. That scarf is gorgeous! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I just had to follow you to find out! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete